All message interfaces will not be available during the upgrade. However, SPOT and Bubbler GPS devices should recover any missing messages. Google Latitude and APRS devices, because of the nature of their interfaces, will not recover missing messages.
Here's what's in store for this upgrade...
- Links to a user's active public trips have been added to the popup window that appears when clicking an icon on a location page.
- Trip profiles determine the icon used to mark your last known location on a map. A new directional trip profile will display an icon with an internal arrow indicating your last known bearing/direction.
- Support for a new Android app, Bubbler GPS, will be available. Bubbler GPS utilizes the new SpotWalla Web API (SWAPI) to interact directly with SpotWalla. While Bubbler GPS is only in alpha testing right now and not generally available to the public, early versions that I've tested look very promising.
- Message categories allow third-party applications that use the SWAPI (e.g. Bubbler GPS) to further refine the meaning/reason of a message. For instance, categories will exist for hotel, gas, food, etc. Eventually, SpotWalla will display the appropriate icon for these stops instead of the typical green/yellow marker.
- I'm going to take this opportunity to restructure the database in order to optimize and ensure SpotWalla remains quick and responsive into the future.